Monday, February 19, 2007

A Quest.......

Benjamin Franklin once said - if one loves life, then do not squander time since that is what life is made of.

On that note...why can't we stretch life so that there's about 50 hours in a day? It's impossible.

If I can defy the odds - here's my ever-evolving "ideal" list of personal stuff to read this year (hopefully less?!?):

"What Has the Government Done to Our Money?," M. Rothbard
"Nichomachean Ethics," Aristotle (J. Barnes Translation)
"Ethics for Secular Humanism," A.C. Grayling
"For a New Liberty," Murray Rothbard
"The Making of America - The Substance and Meaning of The Constitution," W. Skousen
"The Road to Serfdom" - F.A. Hayek
"Economics in One Lesson" - Henry Hazlitt
"Fahrenheit 451," Ray Bradbury
"Lord of The Flies," William Golding
"The Law," Frederic Bastiat
"The Fountainhead," Ayn Rand
"Letter to a Christian Nation" Sam Harris
"The God Delusion" Richard Dawkins
"The Good and Evil- The Impact of Taxes On Our Civilization" Charles Adams
"The Ethics of Liberty" Murray Rothbard
"The Philosophical Foundations of Austrian Economics" David Gordon
"The Real Lincoln" Thomas DiLorenzo

That doesn't even count reference to other books in my library/articles/other research or school/work/accounting related studies that will need to be done. And also anything I can get my hands on in regard to history based on Tom Wood's PI Guide would be awesome. Not to mention the Federalist/Anti-Federalist papers and a couple other Libertarian reference books my husband brought home from Borders the other day. I'm glad what's his is mine, and what's mine is mine (*) cause it sure does cut down on book costs. :) Now if I can wrap my head around that time dilemma...

Edit: In the grand scheme of things, I just realized how much more I want to add to this list. Although I surely won’t be taking anything off, I may be adding more books and/or specific essays as they come to mind.

Edit #2: As I look at the ever increasing stack of books and my propensity to ADD more to this list without hesitation, I believe it's time I make a disclaimer: Should some books fail to be read in 2007 (and ohh this would be a tragedy now wouldn't it? Yes indeed.) they will be subject to my very own "roll over" policy which I bind to myself. This policy applies indefinitely into the future until all books are read. I give myself no release of this binding contract.


3 comments:

Norman said...

Woot, it looks like my reading list. Go Rothbard! You do need to add Rothbard's "What Has the Government Done to Our Money?" Recall that you can get the pdf for free at www.mises.org.

ncloud said...

Quit stealing my books!!!! :-)

baby boy names said...

You have some very intelligent writing in this blog. Very good insight. Really enjoyed the read. Thanks. I invite you to check out this article baby boy names